A steaming bowl of chicken soup is a welcome meal on a cold day, but it brings more to the table than just flavour. The hot liquid will help soothe a sore throat and keep nasal passages moist. And a hearty chicken soup packed with vegetables may also ease such cold and flu symptoms as congestion and coughs. This recipe takes 40 minutes to make (includes preparation and cooking). Self-love personified is to know you deserve the time to create and for days-to-come be nourished by a soup that soothes your body and makes everything else in life better.
I always use my Le Creuset French Oven to make my hearty soups, and this has taken my cooking to a whole new level as making great dishes is now easy! I simply browned the chicken thighs, sautéed the vegetables, added soy stock, water and half an hour later I had the perfect chicken vegetable soup.
- 2 Tablespoons x Olive Oil
- 500g x Chicken Thigh
- 1 x small Onion
- 2 Cups x Celery chopped
- ½ x Sweet Potato washed and cut in chunks
- 2 x Carrots sliced
- 1 x medium Red Capsicum chopped
- 1 Litre x Soy Sauce Stock*
*Add 4 x Tablespoons Gluten-Free Soy Sauce to 1 Litre x Water and mix well. I only use Pureharvest Organic Tamari as this product contains organic whole soya beans, filtered water and a pinch of sea salt. This soy sauce is also wheat-free, gluten-free and has no added cane sugar.
- 6 – 8 Cups x Water (This will depend if you prefer a watery or thicker consistency)
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Heat large pot to medium heat and add olive oil. Season chicken with salt and pepper. Cook until browned.
- Remove chicken from pot and slice into chunks.
- Add onions, carrots and celery into pot. Season with salt and pepper. Sauté for 4 minutes.
- Add chicken back into pot, along with red capsicum and sweet potato chunks. Sauté for 1 minute.
- Add the soy sauce stock and water. Turn up heat and bring the liquid to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to a simmer and let cook, slightly covered, for about 20 minutes.
Serve with love as an entrée or main meal. If you’re eating this soup ‘inside the window’ of intense exercise add pre-cooked buckwheat pasta or oatmeal pasta to deliver the carbohydrates your body needs to recover and repair from training.
I hope this simple, homemade version of chicken vegetable soup warms up your soul and satisfies your taste buds on a chilly day. xx